Skip to main content

Affiliated Organisations


Whaikaha is the Ministry for Disabled people, established in 2022. Funding for assistive technology and communication devices comes from Whaikaha.

Ministry Of Health

The Ministry of Health was the funder for most communication assistive technology. For people who received a funded device prior to 2022, funding likely comes from the Ministry of Health.


ACC (Accident Compensation Corperation) help prevent injuries and get New Zealanders and visitors back to everyday life if they’ve had an accident. People who have a communication difficulty due to an accident may be able to access funding for communication equipment through ACC - talk with your case manager for more information. 


Enable New Zealand provides disability services in New Zealand. We are a subsidiary of Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand. Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People and ACC contract us to provide:

  • Disability information services
  • Disability equipment
  • Housing modification and vehicle modification services.


Accessable provides services to Northland and Auckland. The rest of New Zealand is supported by Enable. Accessable provides:

  • Whaikaha - Ministry of Disabled People equipment, housing and vehicle modifications
  • ACC housing modifications, for people who have difficulty with everyday tasks due to disability or injury.

Accessable work closely with a range of health professionals, equipment suppliers and building contractors to provide the solutions that are needed.  

TalkLink Trust

The TalkLink team are specialists in the area of Communication Assistive Technology / Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC). AAC tools and strategies are used to supplement or replace speech or writing for those with impairments in the production or comprehension of spoken or written language.

The TalkLink Trust has contracts with Whaikaha and ACC, which allows TalkLink to offer free services to eligible clients.

TalkLink is the primary provider of assistive technology for communication, ATANZ is the body which supports, and monitors all assistive technology providers. ATANZ does not provide assistive technology assessments.

Funding Pools

Ministry of Education (MOE):

MOE funds assistive technology that allows a student to to hear, to see and to access and participate in the environment they learn in.

Ministry of Health (MOH):

MOH funds systems which enable a person to independently and reliably make their needs and feelings known to:

  • support their personal safety, and/or
  • interact more effectively with their daily lives.


If you are an ACC claimant, then your ACC case owner must make the referral to TalkLink. ACC will fund the assessment and may also fund equipment, including communication assistive technology (for both spoken or written communication), equipment to access learning, or environmental control equipment.

TalkLink is a service provider. They complete applications to access funding, but do not hold the funding in TalkLink. For more information you can find more here: